Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Story Behind the Song: Zero

Howdy Internet Peeps!

The song for today's installment of the "Story Behind the Song" is track number 12 from Legacy, entitled "Zero".

This song was initially intended to be included in the same student film project as my song "The Descent", but as I mentioned in that story behind the song, my involvement in the project ended before I could contribute the songs I had written.

While there are definite parallels in the style and sound between "The Descent" and "Zero", there was a bet behind "Zero"...

During the late 90s, I was pretty new to and unfamiliar with the industrial genre, although I did like what I had heard for the most part. This was a subset of electronic music that employed non-musical, cacophonous, percussive, and dissonant sound textures along with the more musical sounding synthesizers and other instruments. Some examples of industrial music artists would be Front Line Assembly, Skinny Puppy, and Ministry. Some friends who were also working on the student film bet me that "there was no way I could come up with a song in the industrial genre overnight".

The next day I brought them a rough mix of the new song I wrote that previous night: "Zero"

I won. ðŸ˜Ž

I named the song "Zero" because so much of the industrial music I had heard up to that point seemed to revel in the ideals of nihilism, so because the word nihilism made me think of "nil" which means "zero", thus the title was born.

Much like "The Descent", I didn't make sweeping changes from the original version to the new version of "Zero". I added a bass guitar part, which had much the same effect in adding aggressive punchiness.

Trivia: I had to learn how to play the guitar riff from the bridge in reverse order so that when I recorded it then reversed it, the notes of the riff were in the right order but the sound of the guitar was in reverse. Now THAT was tricky!

Tomorrow will be the last entry for the story behind the song series for my album Legacy.

If you haven't already done so, you can buy your copy of my album Legacy from links on my website. It's available now on CD, digital download, iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon MP3. If you buy it between now and June 30th, $1 of your purchase price will be donated to The Hawaii Island New Knowledge Fund, which helps underrepresented students from Hawaii with educational and workforce development opportunities in STEM fields.

http://chrisstark.com


No comments:

Post a Comment