Monday, May 16, 2016

Story Behind the Song: Time Machine

Greetings Good People of Earth!

Welcome to the 11th installment of "Story Behind the Song" from my album Legacy. Today's song is titled "Time Machine".

The title "Time Machine" is actually another reference to astronomy. Telescopes by their very design enable us to peer into the distant past. The light we see from distant celestial bodies has taken hundreds, thousands, millions, or even billions of years to reach us. When it arrives, it paints a picture of how the universe looked all those many years ago. Telescopes are real life time machines.

When I wrote and recorded the first version of "Time Machine", I created a rough mix of the song, and then the unthinkable happened: my hard drive crashed and I lost the original project files. I have since learned my lesson and now keep two current backups of my data at all times, but the result at the time was that I had a mediocre mix of a song that I really liked, but I couldn't be completely proud of it because the mix wasn't right.

Trivia: "Time Machine" was actually the impetus behind the entire Legacy album. Ever since I lost the original project files, I had been wanting to recreate the song. The Legacy project came to be after I successfully recreated a rough new version of "Time Machine" from scratch. My newer studio equipment mixed with a bevy of newer and better guitars made even the experimental rough version of the song sound even better than the old version. This outcome inspired me to select an album's worth of my old songs and do a full-fledged, official public release.

In many ways, I consider "Time Machine" to be the benchmark of my sound as a guitarist and songwriter. The guitar solo on this song is my favorite guitar solo to date, and I really love the melodies throughout the entire song.

No comments:

Post a Comment