Monday, May 9, 2016

Story Behind the Song: Orbit


Greetings Awesome Internet Citizens!
Happy Monday! I hope you all enjoyed your weekend! We're back and continuing with the daily "story behind the song" posts from my new album "Legacy". Picking up where we left off, we're now on track 6: "Orbit".
The name "Orbit" was influenced by my lifelong fascination with space and astronomy, and it also refers to the musical influences from this song coming from stops along an orbit around our own planet. This song features influences from the traditional music of West Africa and Southeast Asia, and also a dose of electronica and heavy metal.
The original version of "Orbit" was 100% synthesizer, like many of my songs. However, unlike some of my synthesizer songs, "Orbit" was written with guitar "consultation" -- I made sure that I could actually play the parts on guitar, even when it was a synth song. I'm weird like that.
One of the big changes from the original version to the new version was the layered, clean, West African-influenced guitar sequences. These lines were previously a mix of several synthesizer and sampled instruments. This new addition along with a dramatic reduction in synthesizer parts gives the new version of "Orbit" a unique and distinctly World Beat influenced sound.
Trivia: The guitar parts on "Orbit" were played almost entirely on my Gibson Les Paul (the one on the album cover), and it is the only song on the album that features the "clean" channel of my Mesa Boogie Mark 5:25 amplifier.
Thanks for reading, and I'll see you back here tomorrow for the next song!

No comments:

Post a Comment