Friday, May 13, 2016

Story Behind the Song: Dreamtime

Greetings Awesome Citizens of Internetville!

In Hawaii, every Friday is Aloha Friday, so a warm ALOHA to you all!

Wrapping up this week's collection of daily installments of "Story Behind the Song" is track #10 from my album Legacy, "Dreamtime".

This song holds the distinction of being the quickest I've ever taken to write a song from start to finish. It all happened one evening while I was hanging out a friend's apartment. He had a similar studio setup, so I was noodling around with a few of his keyboards. We had a mutual friend arriving at the airport that evening, and I opted to stay back at the apartment while one friend went to pick up the other. In what was about 30-45 minutes, I came up with the entire song structure and melody for "Dreamtime", complete enough to show it off when they arrived.

There were not a huge number of changes from the old version of "Dreamtime" to the version on Legacy, but rather the song mostly benefitted from better recording and much better guitar playing.

When choosing the guitar to use for the Legacy recording session of this song,  I tried several of my guitars, but ultimately landed on my Ibanez S5521Q (pictured). In the intro section of the song, there is a sustained E that I play on the 9th fret of the G string, and on this guitar specifically, that particular E has a tendency to produce a very noticeable octave overtone that just sings when played through my Mesa Boogie amp. When I played that intro the first time on this instrument, it was clear that this was the perfect axe for this song.

Now as for the title "Dreamtime", I mentioned that I wrote the song on synthesizers, and this very first version of the song used a lot of bell-type sounds, resulting in the song reminding me of a lullaby. The song evolved away from the lullaby sound as I added bass, drums, and guitar, but the name stuck.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend!

I'll be back on Monday to continue with the stories behind the last few songs of the album.

If you haven't already done so, you can buy your copy of my album Legacy from links on my website. It's available now on CD, digital download, iTunes, Google Play, and Amazon MP3. If you buy it between now and June 30th, $1 of your purchase price will be donated to The Hawaii Island New Knowledge Fund, which helps underrepresented students from Hawaii with educational and workforce development opportunities in STEM fields.

http://chrisstark.com

No comments:

Post a Comment